The only known thing in the universe faster than the speed of light is the speed at which our joy of accepting an offer or having an offer accepted on a house turns into dread at the thought of moving.
In reality, moving home or office needn’t be stressful at all – as long as you plan everything in advance. Get started straightaway with our guide to planning your move and the whole thing should be a breeze.
Before Exchange of Contracts Happens
- Get three quotes and then finally choose the removal company you will be using.
- Keep in contact with your solicitor and estate agent. Try to keep the ball rolling as fast as possible and always keep the removal company in the loop.
- Do not let them exchange contracts without first confirming the completion date is okay for you and your remover. Remember: the date you move is down to you!
- If you are packing yourself, it’s a good idea to perhaps get your materials delivered and start packing non-essential areas (spare rooms, lofts, garages etc).
When You Exchange Contracts (and therefore have a confirmed removal date)
- Book your removal company.
- Arrange mail re-direction.
- Inform any regular subscriptions of your new address.
- Notify all utility providers of the move and arrange for connections at your new home.
- Notify your local council (you may even be due a council tax rebate).
1 – 2 Weeks Before Your Completion / Removal Day
- Transfer insurance to cover contents at your new home.
- Dispose of any flammables such as petrol.
- Rearrange your TV, phones and internet services if appropriate.
- Inform friends and family of your new address.
- Pack / empty your loft and / or sheds.
1 Day Before…
- Disconnect your cooker, washing machine and dishwasher.
- Confirm there are no loose items in any rooms, everything should be in boxes by now (except a select few essentials)
On Moving Day…
- Take meter readings at your old and new homes.
- Label keys ready for the new owners.
- Okay, now you can sit down, relax and enjoy your new home!